The challenge of writing every day is finding things to write about when I sit down at the computer. Although talking about my life and the things I’m learning is an important part of this experience I don’t want to be doing that every day. So I’ve scoured the internets for some writing prompts and I thought I would compile a list of the ones I really liked. That way I have them for reference, and you can use them if you need them.
- What is your favourite room in your home and why?
What is your favourite time of day? What is your favourite song and why? What is your favourite book and why?
- What is your favourite holiday? What makes this holiday special?
- What would happen if there were no television? Why would this be good? bad?
- What would happen if you could fly whenever you wanted? When would you use this ability?
- What would happen if animals could talk? What are some of the questions you would like to ask animals?
- What would happen if you could become invisible whenever you wanted to? What are some of the things you could do that you cannot do now?
What would you do if you found a magic wand?
- If it were your job to decide what shows can be on t.v., how would you choose?
- If you had to describe yourself as a colour, which would you choose?
What do you think the world needs now?
- What do you think about when you can’t fall asleep?
- What do you think courage means?
- What do you think makes a good friend?
- What kind of animal would you like to be and why?
What does “Clothes make the person” mean to you?
- What is more important to you, appearance or personality?
- What kind of program do you enjoy most on TV–detective shows, comedies, game shows–and why?
- What parts of nature do you like best?
- What are you thankful for?
- Which is your favourite Star Wars character (or other movie/book/t.v. show, etc.)? Why?
- Should there be a dress code in places such as school, restaurants, and places of business? Why or why not?
- Should students be required to learn a second language?
- What are five things that make you nervous or uncomfortable?
- Write about your earliest memory. Include as much detail as you can remember.
- Think back to the first time you had a best friend. Tell the story of your friendship.
- Almost every year, there’s a song that defines the time as an era, an anthem. Name one of these songs
- What Was Your Most Precious Childhood Possession?
- What Do Older Generations Misunderstand About Yours?
- What Can Older People Learn From Your Generation?
What’s Special About Your Hometown?
- What ‘Urban Legends’ Are There About Places in Your Area?
- What Small Things Have You Seen and Taken Note Of Today?
- How Full Is Your Glass?
- How Often Do You Cry?
- Are You Distracted by Technology?
- What Music Inspires You?
- Who Is Your Favorite Pop Diva?
- To What Piece of Technology Would You Write a ‘Love Letter’?
- Does Your Digital Life Have Side Effects?
- What Movies Do You Watch, or Reference, Over and Over?
- What’s on Your Summer Reading List?
- Do You Write in Cursive?
- What Would Your Fantasy Road Trip Be Like?
- What ‘Back-to-the-Land’ Skills Do You Have, or Wish You Had?
- Is Dating a Thing of the Past?
- Does Being a Fan Help Define Who You Are?
- Would You Want to Be a Space Tourist?
These have been compiled from the following websites. Check out the links for many more prompts.
Edit: I’ve decided to come back and strike off the one’s I’ve tried so I can track my progress.